By Gunay Hasanova
Turkey’s Parliament ratified on October 11 a planned extension of the state of emergency in the country to run for three more months from October 19, Anadolu reported.
The Cabinet of Ministers last week decided to extend the state of emergency for 90 more days, with parliament’s approval.
Turkey’s National Security Council had earlier advised extending the emergency measures, first brought in five days after the failed July 15 coup. Then, the President declared a three-month state of emergency on July 20.
As the Turkish Constitution indicates, a state of emergency can be declared for a maximum period of six months, but can also be extended if needed.
To enact the state of emergency, the government must see serious indications of widespread violence which could interfere with Turkey's democratic environment or its citizens' basic rights and freedoms as established by the Constitution.
On July 15 evening, Turkish authorities said a military coup attempt took place in the country. Meanwhile, a group of servicemen announced about the transition of power to them.
However, the rebelling servicemen started to surrender on July 16 and Turkish authorities said the coup attempt failed.
Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan had said the death toll as a result of the military coup attempt stood at 246 people, excluding the coup plotters, and over 2,000 people were wounded.
Turkey’s government blames FETO for the deadly July 15 defeated coup in the country. At least 241 people were martyred in the failed coup, which the government has said was organized by followers of Fethullah Gulen, the head of FETO.
Gulen is also accused of leading a long-running campaign to overthrow the Turkish government through the infiltration of state institutions, particularly the military, police, and judiciary, forming what is commonly known as the parallel state.
Previously, Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Turkey expects Washington, which is its ally, to speed up the extradition of Gulen, who is involved in failed coup attempt.
He pointed out that the Turkish side has provided the U.S. with the evidence of criminal activity of the organization Gulen and his involvement in the events of July 15.
In turn, the American side announced that they still study the documents sent by Turkey since it is a legal process and should be done in accordance with extradition law.